Posting in Technology
A recent study finds evidence that IVF might be unnecessary for many couples trying to conceive.
There is a new non-invasive alternative to in-vitro fertilization (IVF) that might be your best first step to getting knocked up. And it’s a lot cheaper.
DuoFertility is a small body-worn monitor that claims to give the same chance of viable pregnancy as one cycle of IVF. There is the added plus of saving thousands of dollars as well.
A typical cycle of IVF in the UK costs £4,500, while the DuoFertility program offers a year of monitoring and support for £495. The company is offered a money-back guarantee if you are not pregnant within a year of using the monitoring patch.
A recent study(PDF) following 500 couples, published in European Obstetrics & Gynaecology shows the first peer-reviewed academic study proving the viability of such monitoring patches. The study’s author and infertility expert, Oriane Chausiaux, notes in a release about the study:
“The results show that for couples suffering from unexplained infertility as well as a variety of other factors, six months using DuoFertility is as effective as a cycle of IVF and twelve months using DuoFertility yields a higher clinical pregnancy rate than a cycle of IVF – even at the 95% confidence level."
242 of the 500 test subjects, originally qualified for IVF treatment. The one-year pregnancy rate using DuoFertility for those who qualified for IVF was 39%, which is higher than either the UK or EU pregnancy rates for a cycle of IVF (which is 26% and 28% respectively.)
The sensor is a bit bigger than a quarter and attached to an adhesive patch, placed under your arm. It takes body temperature measurements continuously and determines when you are ovulating. It claims to be nearly 100% accurate at determining the most fertile days in a cycle. Data collected is sent to a reader wirelessly, so the user can see her fertility status at any time and plan ahead.
From the release about the UK study:
“One in Seven couples in the UK suffer from infertility problems, indeed more women attend GP surgeries to obtain advice on infertility than any issue other than pregnancy. This shows just how big an issue infertility is for so many people”.
It is perhaps not surprising therefore that Cambridge Temperature Concepts, the company behind DuoFertility, was recently recognised at Downing St as one of nine innovative small businesses to help reduce costs in the public sector through the Cabinet Office Innovation Launchpad programme.
To be sure, however, IVF is necessary for some couples (PDF.) “Comparing a monitoring patch to IVF is like comparing oranges to apples,” said Jamie Grifo, Director of the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology at the NYU Fertility Center, in a phone interview. “Couples who come to see me for IVF have already tried temperature monitoring kits. The big issue is time lost. You cannot linger with infertility because the chances only get worse with each year. Using a monitoring patch loses valuable time for those couples who ultimately require IVF.”
To get a full work up at a reproductive health clinic is Grifo’s advice, so you know your issues as you go into the process of trying to get pregnant. If you do not, then you are working blind and waiting a year to try decreases your chances significantly. At age 30 a woman has a 60% chance of becoming pregnant via IVF. But by age 40 that drops to a 27% chance, said Grifo. By age 43 it drops to 13%. By age 45 it's 2%.
Nov 18, 2011
Our youngest was born over 48 years ago. Her OB-GYN recommended a basal thermometer. The pharmacist said "good luck for whatever you want" Temperature testing has been around for a long time. "There is nothing new under the sun."
Natural Family Planning (not the "rhythm method" and not temperature monitoring) is very effective in both creating and avoiding pregnancy. A woman who used NFP is very well aware of her fertility cylce, as is her husband. Our children were conceived this way; we knew it was a fertile night, which only makes the intimacy more special. We also used NFP to avoid pregnancy at other times.
The ultimate choice means the ultimate responsibility for bringing more suffering into the world. Getting pregnant is not a right. It is an enormous responsibility ! Today in Western society women have the choice and therefore the responsibility. Men are being used and abused every day so that women can satisfy their selfish desires to bring more suffering into the world. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING MORE SELFISH.
Do we morons realise that the seven billionth human being was born last month. Keep it in ypur pants people.
How is monitoring temperature a better approach than simply having sex several times a day for 6 months? What do women under monitoring do differently during "peak" times?
Sex is a necessary part of living for women as well as men. Although the ultimate responsibility for getting pregnant is the woman's. Where modern contraceptives are available there is no excuse for adding to the suffering in the world. There is enough already. A woman's desire for sexual gratification is as strong as a man's But why is it always the man's fault, when a woman becomes pregnant ?
Because it's always the man's fault, whatever goes wrong. Did you not know, all men are pigs? My wife tells me that quite frequently. Apparently a woman's urge to engage in "the act" is not as strong as that of a man. However, once hooked there's no stopping them, as many a husband who's been woken up in the small hours and urged to fulfill his husbandly duty will be able to tell you. I maintain it's when they find out that thing is like the widow's jar in reverse. I also know of a gadget that gets females pregnant. Flowers, chocolate, romantic dinners (that means in poor light) and sweet talk all pave the way for its use. And a guy mustn't be palpably insincere in his sweet talk. No, he must learn to fake sincerity very well.