By Tuan Nguyen
Posting in Cities
How much living space does a person need to live comfortably? The One-Sqm-House asks us to re-imagine what's possible, even with so little.
How much house does a person need to live comfortably? For Van Bo Le-Mentzel, one square meter would do.
The Berlin-based architect is challenging our pre-conceived notions of what qualifies as livable space with his aptly named One-Sqm-House design. Though no bigger than most toolsheds, the basic dimensions of the portable microhouse makes for a surprisingly accommodating dwelling experience. For instance, the one-person unit can be turned on its side for a restful night's sleep and features a small open air window that allows the occupant to receive guests.
- Related post: 'Swiss Army studio apartment' transforms into 6 rooms
Le-Mentzel's project was born out his experiences as a Loatian refugee and his longing for a place to call home. While a one square meter living space isn't a lot, Le-Mentzel explains that, with enough imagination, its enough for residents to feel like they have place of their own while at the same time allowing them to settle and re-settle whenever and wherever they want.
And with the support of EastSeven Hostel and the BMW Guggenheim LAB, a mobile lifestyle exhibit of innovative ideas, Le-Mentzel is now bringing his ideas to the public. Until July 29th, interested parties can come on-site and build their own one-sqm-house, subsidized through the lab. Apartment-seekers can also rent out one of the microhouses at a rate of one euro a night through rental site Airbnb.
- Related Post: Behold! The world's skinniest house
- Related Post: City of Darkness: The most densely populated place on Earth
Nice idea. But I'm sure some of you are asking where would one shower, use the toilet or cook. As part of rental agreement, tenants are offered the use of kitchen and showers at Eastseven Hostel and Wifi in the BMW Guggenheim Lab area.
It's not a concept that's going to take off, but at the very least, it asks us to re-imagine what's possible, even with so little.
Learn more about Smart homes:
- Futuristic motor home is ultra luxurious, fuel efficient
- House changes shape depending on the weather [video]
- Smart sofa changes shape to make you comfortable
- A motor home that folds up, fits in your car
Designs & world records:
- Watch the world's biggest paper airplane fly 100 mph
- China unveils world's longest sea bridge, but is it?
- How to build the world's tallest building in 90 days
- Amazing ship can carry 100,000 ton oil rigs (photos)
Jul 23, 2012