By Tuan Nguyen
Posting in Design
Jetski racing champion Franky Zapata has designed a water-powered jetpack you can strap to your feet.
If you've ever yearned to float around in your very own jetpack, I'd suspect owning a hoverboard would be pretty high on the holiday wish list as well. Now, for around $6,600, sci-fi fans can get a futuristic experience that combines the best of both worlds.
The Flyboard, invented by jetski racing champion Franky Zapata, is essentially a water-powered jetpack with bolted-in shoes that can be strapped to your feet, enabling users to skate around at a height of nine meters. Like the Jetlev jetpack, it's powered through a hose attachment that connects to a jetski's thruster. Propulsion is generated as the force of the water runs up through the hose and shoots out from the bottom of the board. Water is also diverted to a pair of arm thrusters that can be used to steer the device.
So why would anyone choose to buy the Flyboard over the Jetlev? Besides the addition of some nifty shoes, it costs a fraction of the traditional jetpack version ($99,500, includes boat). And oh, with some practice, riders can perform some crazy aerial tricks. In the promotional video, Zapata demonstrates some of these dazzlers by launching in and out of the water like a dolphin, completing 360 degree spin moves and even pulling off backward somersaults.
The minimal requirement to get the fun started is a jetski equipped with at least a 100 hp engine, which is sold separately (obviously). Learn more about how to get your own Flyboard at www.zapata-racing.com.
Contributor’s Note: Inspired by the upcoming Holiday season and emails from readers, I will occasionally spotlight and preview innovative game-changing new products that may be the perfect gift for you or someone you know. Subscribe to the RSS news feed or SmartPlanet’s newsletter for news and updates on more smart products.
- A hoverboard powered by quantum levitation [video]
- Jetpack flies among the clouds, shatters all sorts of records [video]
- Which jetpack would you buy? [video]
- Video: Jetman soars over Grand Canyon
- Inventor builds homemade jetpack using cheap spare parts [video]
More innovative products:
- Finally, a urinal for girls
- VIDEO: A motor home that fits in your car
- Your own electric airplane for the price of a car
- ‘Back to the Future’ self-lacing shoes coming 2015
- ‘Super tape’ can support the weight of a full grown man
- Innovative camping trailer transforms into a boat [video]
- A waterproof smartphone? Amazing spray coating makes it possible [video]
Dec 8, 2011