It was a little over a year ago that a group of Chinese construction workers wowed us all by erecting a 15-story hotel in a matter of six days (they even produced a stunning time-lapse video to prove it). So how did they plan on topping that? Oh, how about putting up a 30-story hotel in 15 days!
So basically, this is what happened: One day there was a vacant plot of land near the Dongting lake, in China’s Hunan Province. Then, next thing you know, a bunch of builders from Broad Group show up and, like clockwork, floor upon floor of living quarters start piling up like layer cake. As you can see from the video, the final result wasn’t just some bare bones building. I’m talking polished tile floors, automated window blinds and freshly laundered bedsheets.
Behind the structure’s lush exterior is a diagonal steel bracing design that enables the pre-fab building to be five times more earthquake proof than standard buildings(sustaining tremors up to a magnitude nine). It’s also five times more energy efficient thanks to external solar shading, a heat recovery system and deluxe features such as a 3-stage air filtration system that makes indoor air up to 20 times cleaner than outside.
- Related: World’s tallest building is high tech
- Related: Can Manhattan’s mighty skyscrapers withstand a major quake?
So what to make of yet another record-breaking accomplishment? If anything, we’ll just chalk it up as more evidence that when it comes to nation-building, China doesn’t mess around. Since the elaborate spectacle that was the Beijing Summer Olympic Games, the world’s fastest growing economy has unveiled some of the world’s longest bridges, laid the groundwork for a space station, revealed ambitious plans for moon exploration and, just recently as last month, successfully tested a 310 mph bullet train.
While this latest feat is obviously quite impressive, I would, however, like to point out one flaw: that hideous giant crane at the center of the building. What the heck?! Perhaps with all those fancy technological enhancements, they’re probably hoping the guests won’t notice?
More mind-boggling videos:
- Want blue eyes? New laser surgery makes it happen [video]
- A hoverboard powered by quantum levitation [video]
- Robot solves Rubik’s cube in 5 seconds
- Objects levitate using spooky quantum trick [video]
- ‘Invisibility cloak’ device makes objects disappear [video]
- China’s new bullet train is world’s fastest, smashes record
- Video: China unveils world’s longest sea bridge, but is it?
- Behold! The world’s skinniest house
- World’s lightest material is 99.99 percent air [video]
- The world’s longest motorcycle [video]
More on the rise of China: