Plug-in electric vehicles, which include autos with batteries only and hybrid plug-ins, will hit the 3.2 million unit mark by 2015, according to Pike Research.
Given that electric vehicles (EVs) are just about to land, Pike Research gives us a nice over/under number. Will 3.2 million units by 2015 be high or low in terms of EVs?
Pike Research makes the following points in its report:
- Automakers will mass market EVs to drive units;
- Consumers will see the benefits of EVs;
- Smaller EVs---cars and SUVs---will dominate the market;
- China will have the largest EV market with more than 880,000 autos sold by 2015, good for 27 percent of the global market;
- The U.S. will have the second largest EV market with 841,000 vehicles sold by 2015.
The Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf will kick off the EV marketing to consumers. We'll see how EV momentum builds.