RE: China developing 600 mph airless maglev high-speed train
its no wonder were at least 100 years behind whats possible most people are ludcirisly sociallly and technology conservative... news flash this is the 21st century, not the 19th century... people, start acting like you know what century it is.
1) terrorism... the perfect fantasy reason to do nothing... look if terrorism was really a concern democracy, capitialism/socialism/communism would all, all mass transportation and energy generation (esspecially of nuclear oil or coal) would cease to exist... instead its used as an assine reason to stall social and technology progress and to entrech with mindless rederick which embraces technologies that caused most of the environmental and social problems of today's world in the first place.
2) disaster scenerio, its all fine an well to plan for the what if's but when you say how something can't be done or shouldn't be done, you better have damn sound reasoning as at that point YOUR blocking progress for the whole of society and indirectly the whole of the global society... infact unless you have some kind of work around idea, in that case, your strictly part of the problem... underwater/underground transportation isn't a new thing, building earthquake resistant structures can be built (its usually not done as a result of cost, which is the same reason the US infrastructure is in decay, in many case in extreme decay), china though is less concerned about cost (their economy isn't in shambles, nor even on shakey ground) and more in modernizing their country and becomming leading nation on international stage, which they are quickly becomming.
3) their calculation being off... this is a MINOR details thats being treated as if its a major flaw, its not... its still MUCH faster than ANY other mode of travel and thats the relevent point.
4) it not being green power, it is, the problem is that the bulk of their electricity generation, much like that of the US, is stuck in 19th and early 20th century technology, hence much of the power than gets to the train wasn't generated by a green source but the train is still green itself, unlike other trains, airplanes, cars/trucks, hell its more green than travel by horse, because at the end of the day (figuritively speaking, of course) it itself isn't putting out any pollution, and tghusly is green and an be powered 100% by green sources.
5) it not being possible, or otherwise being a fantasy... look... FLYING is a fantasy... but the wright brother didn't agree.. now nearly a century later we have tens of (if not hundreds of) MILLIONS of people engaging in whaty was a fantasy at the time.. and BTW this was also around the time maglev technology was conceived... and i'm sure they thought it was pure fantasy then too, and guess what?, in 1992 the german government proved what short sighted fools they were even 18 years ago, much less of the people that think so now.
6) why only 600mph?... because its a work in progress under the venus project they like to see international transport (via EXACTLY this method vacuum tube mag lev trains; check out "future by design" for the venus projects' vision) of they they say up to or exceeding 20,000km/h, which every decade becomes closer and closer to realityand while 20,000km/h might not ever be acheived (i think over a long enough distance it certianly can be even for passenger carrying trains), its really a matter of energy input (which is ever-increasing), magnetic power efficently (which is constantly improving via being able to apply more power to electromagnets or the manfacturing other super-magnets which are naturally stronger), resistance (which unless they can create a perfect vacuum, which they likely wont, will form some kind of barrier of air resistences, as this ability continues to improve so too will the efficency of such mag lev trains) and lastly biological physical tolerances (people can only physically tolerate so much g-force, to work around this you would either need a long relatively slow acceleration or something to dampen the effects of g-force.. a long slow acceleration is the easiest and most economical... if the distance were great enough i have no doubt this specific mag lev train concept could easily hit 1000km/h, if not exceeding even that.
7) impractical/ signifigant amounts of energy... obviously this person missed the memo, its uses 1/4 (or 25%) of the energy that flying does, WHY? because their no friction and little air resistance.... hence it require LESS energy. hence the energy burden is LESSENED not increased...
and no coal (and oil) is the long term solution to nothing, except making a quick buck at the expense of the environment and the global society, nuclear i have less of a problem with, aside from the fact that even nuclear power is 60 years behind whats actually possible, can be significantly more powerful and at the same time a MUCH greener technology.. buts it not economical... so we don't have it, thats how backwards society... we can do better, we know better than to keep doing things the way we do and yet we choose not to because the profit motive isn't there... thats a flaw of western society if ever there was one, our society is like that one completely moronic person in society (school or adult life) thats just smart enough to know that getting hit in the head is bad for his health, yet is dumb enough to keep letting people much him in the head for a quarter.
we haven't NEEDED oil or coal power in the last 60 years AT ALL, but we haven't taken green tech seriously until the mid 90's and even now its still barely taken seriously, by anyone except though that are rather cognicent of global warming which many people still think is some kind of scam, and doesn't exist, or even if it does that we have no influence on it; which is assine, when you consider we have a greater CONSTANT effect than volcanoes do, on average more than 200 times greater, yet we know beyond all doubt that volcanos alter the climate (albeit generally in a more balanced way via also having alot of sulphur dioxide emissions).... and nuclear power become a scary thing for the west in the cold war, mostly via propaganda up till 1970 nuclear power was making great strides, including nuclear power super-freighters, i think only 3 were built, despite them being superior in virtually every way, but were scaped as a economic plan because most countries ports refused to let them dock out of fear of a nuclear attack.
8) the anit-chinese progressionists, look it doesn't matter when they built their existing mag lev train or not... they comissioned it, they own it... they use it.... thats all that really matters...
also it doesn''t matter that maglev can do this same speed above ground... WHY? because when you remove, or dramatically reduce air resistance from the equation you can reduce the power input thats required to run the train, hence making it significantly more energy efficent.. not to mention it opens up the possibilty of the same technology being expanded well beyond 1000km/h using this practical proof of concept, much like the first maglev train built in 1992 by germany was.