Gore, speaking at the SAP Sapphire conference in Orlando, said companies were increasingly focused on sustainability and that's going to have a positive effect on the environment.
"The business community is showing impressive leadership in sustainability," Gore said.
Much of Gore's talk was a climate change lecture, but he did note a few reasons why sustainability is becoming more than just a greenwashing marketing mantra and a part of actual business practices.
Here's a look at Gore's seven business points about sustainability, in no particular order:
- Pollution is waste and the result of inefficiencies. The message: Polluting companies are inefficient.
- Sustainability enhances brand reputation.
- There are long-term returns in being sustainable. At some point, stakeholders will hit companies with short-term focus.
- Customers and partners are demanding sustainable business practices.
- Carbon tracking will be integrated into business processes as regulators require it across the globe.
- Sustainability can boost employee morale and attract the next generation of customers.
- Tackling a topic such as innovation leads to new innovations.
More from the SAP Sapphire conference on SmartPlanet: