Posting in Cancer
An implantable sensor can tell if a heart attack occurred. Soon, it can detect cancer and glucose levels in other patients.
MIT researchers have designed an implantable sensor that can look for the signs of a heart attack, and could potentially prevent the onset of severe heart disease.
After a person has a heart attack, there are certain biomarkers - myoglobin, cardiac troponin I and creatine kinase - that are present. So doctors can look for these proteins in the blood.
In mice models, the implanted sensors could identify the three biomarkers and even tell how bad the heart attack was.
According to the MIT News Office:
[MIT's professor Michael Cima] is now developing an implant that measures pH (acidity level), which could be useful for detecting heart disease or cancer. (Tumors are more acidic than healthy tissue, and dramatic increase in acidity is a near-instantaneous indicator of heart attack.)
In the future, he hopes to modify these sensors to detect low levels of hard-to-detect bacteria or viruses, or migrating tumor cells.
If it works for detecting heart attacks, there's no reason why it can't be designed to detect cancer and measure the glucose levels for diabetics.
Photo: Chima Lab
Related on SmartPlanet:
- New sensor made out of hydrogels can detect mysterious substances
- Designing better sensors from bat ears
- Super-accurate sensors for fighting crime, medical devices and environmental testing
- Wearing sensors to see how diseases spread
- Groups of friends in social networks can predict the spread of infectious disease
- On emissions and engines: developing sensors to monitor diesel fuel quality
- iPhone-sized silicon carbide sensors to prove volcanoes
- With ’smart dust,’ a trillion sensors scattered around the globe
Feb 15, 2011
Multiple jcompanies, Medtronix for example, already have continuous, 24-hour glucose monitoring systems for diabetics. With thes system, you know what your glucose level is, which way it's heading, and how fast it's heading there. And as you approach glucose limits, you are warned in time to take action.