What's the business model for getting to mars? Make the trip to the red planet cost about the same as a new home, says SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk. Here he is at the National Press club, outlining his plan.
Is Elon Musk crazy? Maybe. But he's also managed to slash the cost of getting cargo into space in half. (As his competitors like to point out, it remains to be seen if his heavy launch rockets can accomplish that at a failure rate comparable to those of existing rockets, however.)
More sciencey awesomeness on SmartPlanet:
- Birds point the way to casual sex app for humans
- Confirmed: Flushing with the lid up turns your toilet into a little volcano of bacteria
- Bizarre-looking Japanese EV is most aerodynamic production vehicle ever
- Ancient Rome had less income inequality than modern America
- The survival value of ‘free’ will