Are open office designs making us sick?
— By Tyler Falk on March 4, 2014, 7:34 AM PST
Wow, what would we do without experts? For decades now they've been telling us that we should all get out of our exclusionary individual offices so that we can collaborate, and now they say that hanging with the collective is making us all sick.
I would say your Smartplant "thought provoking analysis" was shallow, but there is nothing at all. That being said, your cited article seems to omit this from it's conclusions, and the methodology of the review of the self reported data is also missing.
Exactly what is making people sick, please, please tell us ?
- Air conditioning/Climate control systems?
- Acres of windows, with the Sun then dazzling computer screens requiring blinds and then diffused lighting, as too dark leading to headaches, eye strain etc?
- Lack of fresh air blowing through the building, refreshing the stale air?
- Poor workstation environment?
- low level Ozone pollution from printers/copiers?
It's nothing people have not known for decades - it's called "Sick Building Syndrome".